Sunday, December 9, 2007

Tutoring PR

PR is a freshman electrical engineering student from Nepal that I am tutoring, and he is so very nice and so appreciative of whatever time I can give him. The first time we met, we talked about what he wanted out of the tutoring and what issues he felt were most important for us to work on. Although he has pronunciation issues, the intonation is more of a concern for him. His vocabulary and grammar in English appear to be quite good. It is the spoken communication that he wants to work on most. I feel the first session should be more about becoming comfortable with each other to set the tone for the working relationship, as I want my tutees to know that mistakes are part of the learning process and that I am only here to help. I am not here to scold, but I might teasingly (with proper caution) let them know if they are not working very hard. I meet with him tomorrow when I will record him and do a diagnostic analysis afterwards. I am excited to finally be tutoring.

No comments: