Sunday, December 9, 2007

Session One with RF

27 October: Today was my first meeting with RF and - yes, I said and - WS. I was not completely surprised to see two - but I am not sure how I am going to navigate this. But I also can't turn down anyone who needs help. I stopped at their house and they followed me to the university. We went to the ERC from there. Jaida was with and she and I showed them around campus a bit, as they had not seen it before and they were quite impressed. It was a gorgeous day - almost too nice to work - but we have work to do. I am always a little worried when Jaida has to come with, but everyone seems to fall in love with her and are amazed at how well she entertains herself. RF is the most capable - although there are issues of grammar on occasion, and pronunciation will need some work and intonation will need some as well. He is gregarious, very outgoing and very pleasant - just a sweetheart. WS is not as capable as RF, but is very shy - but a sweetheart as well. We spent two hours together just getting to know each other a little better, but I think if they are both going to continue with tutoring, that there will have to be some separation, as WS will allow RF to translate and talk for him. At times, this might be fine, but he needs to do it on his own if he is going to learn to speak on his own. I really enjoyed today!

No comments: