Sunday, December 9, 2007

Session Three with PR

27 October: Today was my third session with PR. Today, Jaida wasn't with me and he asked about her - he missed her! I thought that was hilarious! Anyway, today we talked about how things were going and he feels better now that he knows he has a native speaker of English to help him. The tape I made isn't as clear as I would like, so I am trying to find another way to record him that is clearer, as I will want to archive this. One issue that is clear is that problem he has with /s/ and /sh/ (I am not going to worry about symbols right now and we all know what I am talking about). I had created a list of minimal contrast pairs for him to work with and we went through those. This is what he will work on for the moment, and as he gets time, as he is a student. We talked about how much interaction he has with native speakers, and by that I am talking about how much interacting he does with native speakers and not just how much he is around them but not interacting with them. He admitted he was a bit shy and this is his first semester in this country, so it is somewhat understandable. However, he is missing out on opportunities to improve his pronunciation and intonation, so I am going to devise a plan for this. I don't know what it will be yet, but I will. He feels as though he is improving and I am afraid to confirm this, as I get to spend so little time with him, but I only told him that I hear a bit of improvement and that this is not a quick process, but with the level of dedication he is showing, it will go well and he will be the primary reason he improves.

No comments: