Sunday, October 21, 2007

Tutoring concerns

I tutored over at East High School for an ESL classroom on Wednesday, after I had finished with conferences over in Waseca.

The kids were really great. I met a student from Mexico and one from Guatemala who were working on English sentence structures and doing quite well. There was a third student from Sudan, but he was having problem with his eye and went to the nurse's office.

After seventh hour was over, I worked with several students working on their science. The focus was chemical reactions. I left a little disturbed, as most of them could copy information from the book to the worksheet, and some with difficulty at that. However, none of them seemed to really understand the information they were covering. This concerns me a great deal. They were great kids and very polite and appreciative, but I don't know that they are really learning anything about their content subject. Is anyone else encountering this?

No comments: